Rebecca Ore on Sat, 7 Jun 2003 14:02:10 -0400

Re: [PLUG] [FS] Sparc SS5-170 with over 200 MG memory

On Sat, 07 Jun 2003, Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:

> At 12:59 PM 6/6/2003, you wrote:
> >Two network cards (second card has MII in addition to ethernet port),
> >and a spare 4 gig hard drive in an external case.  Two 2 Gig SCA hard
> >drives, internal CD-Rom available, not presently installed but works.
> >Sun optical mouse and pad, no keyboard, no monitor.
> >
> >$125 for all.  I've heard that the 170 chip won't run Debian Sparc.  It
> >does fine with NetBSD and OpenBSD.  Pickup only.
>
> Solaris would run fine, too, I should think. How many processors? Barracuda
> drives internally, no doubt, and perhaps a Cheetah external drive. If
> somebody picks this up and needs a keyboard, I have an extra type 5
> keyboard I can part with for $5 or so. Assuming that's a type 5 mouse.

I've heard that the latest Solaris will run faster than NetBSD on this.

The two internal drives are both IBM branded.  I've seen larger SCA
drives for around $100 (it take low-profile drives).  There's also a 9
ft SCSI cable for the external drive (this all used to be
paradoxa.ogoense.net, an nntp server).  Someone on this list has a 32 MG
memory chip for this that he borrowed when I gave him a lesser SS, but
if I can't get that one back, there's often memory on EBay if the buy
wants to max out the memory.  It's now down by one chip from being maxed
out.

If anyone has an intel box that's got at least twice memory and power
than my 166 Pentium Micron box (96 MG ram), and 10 gig or better of IDE
hard drives, I'll trade the Sparc for that.

I'm not sure how to use the two network cards -- didn't get both set up
when I had the Sparc in colo, but supposedly with the right transciever,
the bestie can even use the MII connection for fiber.

> Wow, a Sun optical mouse pad! That's worth its volume in platinum.

I don't even know if it works. :)

> Don't mind me, just idly curious. I can't spare $125 right now.

I'm moving more toward digital photography and large format photography.
This machine might make someone a good learning machine for Solarius, or
a fire wall.  I can use either a photo backdrop set, $125, or an
improved Intel box at this point, in that order.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://mysite.verizon.net/rebecca.ore