Beldon Dominello on Tue, 10 Jun 2003 01:21:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Hardware resolution

On Monday 09 June 2003 21:01, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> Hrm. RealTek's chipset is fairly well-supported, if fairly poor from
> a performance point of view.
>
> You sure it isn't just hidden behind some odd PCI bridge? What's
> dmesg actually say about it?

It's the number that's weird-- 8201-- something.  The manual says its
"integrated" with the onboard chipset.  Linux recognizes it, but doesn't come
up with a driver.  I can experiment a bit, but I haven't had time yet.

> > The sound's pretty good, as is the onboard AGP
> > graphics chip.  The sound also has digital output-- RCA as well as
> > optical--- which is perfect, since my digital recorder accepts both types
> > of digital input.
>
> Wow. That's a step up from the AC'97 ASUS usually ships. What's the
> chipset?

nVidia chipset.  The North Bridge is 220D GeForce MX Integrated.  South Bridge
is nForce MCP-D.  Not a bad little board, from my limited experience with it.
Between the ATA100 and the nice drive I got, the I/O time has been noticably
shorter-- not to mention quieter.

Overall, nice value for the money.

	-Beldon

--
Computers will not be perfected until they can compute how much more
than the estimate the job will cost.