M. Jackson Wilkinson on Wed, 18 Jun 2003 20:37:10 -0400

[PLUG] afraid to ask (wireless bridge...microsoft)

Hey everyone,

I saw a decent rebate at OfficeMax for the MS Wireless Base Station, and decided that it was a good price for something that can be either a wireless and ethernet bridge on my current home network (for right now), or a NAT-providing router/gateway when I'm living in an apartment at school.

So I hooked up this thing, to my current network, which consists of (in part) a DSL modem going into the uplink of a switch, and then a cat5 cable from my switch up to my room. I previously had a small switch in my room, and had the incoming cat5 going into the uplink port on that. Everything worked fine, though I didn't want the router mode on, just the bridge, since I have a DHCP and NAT setup on my network already. The incoming cable was plugged into the "modem" slot, which I assume to be essentially an uplink slot.

When I switched the device over to bridge mode (via a software modification... it has web administration and such), everything went to hell. Well, not everything. The local network continued to work flawlessly, but it created enormous latency on my DSL circuit. I went from 0% packet loss and 18ms average pings to upwards of 90% packet loss, with occasional bursts of ~20ms pings sandwiched between one or two enormous pings (ie 6000 ms, etc).

If I unplug the cable from the uplink, the latency goes away, and all is well again (after a few seconds of recovery). Put it back in, and the network instantly goes back into the state described above. Putting the cable into another one of the 4 normal ethernet jacks on the device yields no linklight, so I figure it must go into the "modem" jack.

Before I risk hours on hold tomorrow, am I being entirely dumb about something? Am I missing something entirely? Right now, best-case scenario would be for this device to act as a hub/switch/whatever for my room and provide the rest of my house with an 802.11b bridge so wireless devices can use my present DHCP server.

Thanks for the help,
Jack