Magnus on Mon, 7 Jul 2003 12:00:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Tech jobs and politics, and IT diploma mills

On Monday, July 7, 2003, at 11:41 AM, Mental Patient wrote:

Yes, but its your children they're teaching.

Not mine. Homeschooling is still a viable option. My daughter is only a year and a half old and is already getting some structured teaching time where she's picking stuff up that most kids won't get for a few more years yet. Can't wait to see what she's doing by Kindergarten. An uneducated but caring family member can do far more to help a child to learn than an apathetic but educated professional that cannot possibly give the level of attention needed to each of their 25+ pupils. Can't wait to see where my daughter is in a few years when the kindergartners and first graders are just getting preliminary exposure to the things that she's starting to learn now.

The most valuable education I got in my life was from people who had nothing to do with the teaching profession. My first computer instruction was given to me by the grounds keeper of a summer camp I attended in the 1970's who happened to build computers as a hobby, and taught me how to program in logo as well as basic geometry concepts. Oh, all of this happened before I started Kindergarten. I was reading really well by then because my grandmother took me to the library frequently, and also had me read the newspaper to her. An uncle taught me how to solder when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade, helping him to build a Heathkit robot (HERO 1). These are just a few examples of how regular people can make a /real impact/ on the minds of young people. A few hours here and there with people like that did far more for me than all of my formal education time.

The system is broken. It cannot be patched into working condition by subtle changes here and there. Until it is nuked & paved, I am withdrawing my children from it and letting more capable & interested parties handle their education.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish