Bob Schwier on Wed, 9 Jul 2003 14:19:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Tech jobs and politics, and IT diploma mills

In this case I am including the whole messege because I am a bit perturbed
at public perceptions here.  This is written, if I remember, by a fellow
civil servent, an officer of the law.  Now, pay is the only thing that any
body is listening to.  Says something about the culture.  Anyway, teachers
spend delightful days taking grief from teenagers who have determined that
they are the teachers' betters.  The point is not really pay but pay is
the only issue that anyone is listening to.  No one is going to tell the
parents that they have to unite and do something to keep their kids in
line so that the teacher can spend his or her time teaching.  Nobody is
going to offend the very profitable interests who spew out garbage
pandering to these same kids' worst ambitions.  Nobody is going to hurt
the kids' self esteem by telling them that something about their official
teen attitudes might be wrong and self distructive, at least not in a way
that matters.
We cannot bestow knowledge.  This is not like a faith healing popular
among the Pentocostals.  People seem to think that it is.  The students
should not have to strain themselves to work for knowledge but it should
simply fall into their heads painlessly and without effort on their part.
We have to be unfailingly on target, aware of their needs even if the
divination of same requires psychic powers that I personally don't believe
in.  We are wrong if we fail.  They are never wrong if they fail.
We can also be threatened with real action if one of them decides that
claims of sexual molestation can be brought.  This does not require proof
any more than charges of witch craft in another era.
And, of course, when Johnny decides to solve his emotional problems by
breaking a chair over the head of Jamal, it is not Johnny's fault but the
teacher's who was supposed to be supervising the situation better.
There is no political will to make the changes that would matter so the
only thing left to fight about is the pay.
bs