Martin DiViaio on Fri, 11 Jul 2003 02:05:36 -0400

Re: [PLUG] weird devfs issues

> Devfsd should not be activating swap or anything like that. Take a look
> at the scripts in your /etc/rcS.d/. Perhaps redhat's script for devfsd
> does something funky?

I don't think so. RedHat's init first runs /etc/rc.sysinit then /etc/rc
(which does the troll through /etc/rc3.d/.) In /etc/rc.sysinit, the first
set of commands checks for the existance of /dev/.devfsd. If it finds
it, the script starts devfsd. According to the defvs FAQ, this is the
accepted method to handle this.

/etc/rc.sysinit goes through several other steps (like setting the
hostname, etc) then it runs swapon.

> In your fstab, what device name to you give for your swap partition?

/dev/hda2 - which devfsd is converting to
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2. It shows up that way when I run
swapon -s.