Ruse, Kevin KPSI on Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:31:05 -0400

RE: [PLUG] dig returns "Transfer failed", what to do?

You should contact ITX and ask them to allow zone transfers to your ip
address for your zones. This should allow access for your dig command. After
that you just need dig on each domain, and since dig returns the information
in bind format you should be set.

Kevin Ruse
Kvaerner Philadelphia Shipyard

-----Original Message-----
From: kaze [mailto:kaze@voicenet.com]
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2003 8:47 AM
To: PLUG listserv
Subject: [PLUG] dig returns "Transfer failed", what to do?

[root@rh9 root]# dig @e1.ns.voyager.net intelli-media.com axfr

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> @e1.ns.voyager.net intelli-media.com axfr
;; global options:  printcmd
; Transfer failed.
[root@rh9 root]#

I have to recreate in-house, currently hosted DNS for eleven domains. ATX,
the ISP hosting the DNS won't give me the text zone files. The records are
pretty minimal, but I'd still prefer to recreate them accurately.

Is there a way around the transfer failed, or is this e1.ns.voyager.net
configured specifically who to do zone transfers to? I'm am kind of hoping I
did something wrong, like pick the wrong server to query. Does anyone know,
is there some software or web sites that generate all the info that would be
in a zone file (doesn't have to in the named zone format - I'll do that
part), maybe from reverse lookups against all the IPs in the domain's range
or something?

Thanks,
- Zake