Rebecca Ore on Wed, 23 Jul 2003 17:01:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Speakeasy Worldcom-to-Covad nightmare

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 04:43:50PM -0400, sean finney (seanius@seanius.net) wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 03:02:28PM -0400, Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:
> > If they disallow servers, they must have changed their terms since I signed up. I suppose I should go look.
>
> i think technically they disallow you to run servers, but don't do much
> to stop you except filtering off port 80...

My impression is that if the server disrupts Verizon useage (i.e. a game
server for example), then they'd like the option to whack it, but if
it's a mild-mannered low use web server, they're not going to go hunting
for them.  Scott Brooks posted once that servers were okay, but the TOS
web page hasn't changed.  They don't block outgoing email direct MX, but
the IP numbers associated with DSL are blocked by some block lists.

They have been having slowdowns and outtages in Philadelphia about one
evening a week for a month and a half, never for more than an hour most
of the time.

The price is right for the service you get -- and they've got a fairly
lively set of internal groups with some of the most famous and infamous
people on Usenet in them, from Boston Blackie to Akula to Rijijo of
alt.hackers.malicious.

And Scott Brooks has started using Linux at home and loves it.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://mysite.verizon.net/rebecca.ore