William H. Magill on Thu, 7 Aug 2003 16:16:12 -0400

Re: [PLUG] dsl/directv cable alternatives

On Thursday, August 7, 2003, at 11:29 AM, Eugene Smiley wrote:
jeff wrote:
I've never had any issues outside of getting Hellrizon to provision
the line. With taxes and all, the bill comes in at just under $100 a
month.
What's provisioning?

Setting up the line. It amounts to taking your wires on their end and connecting them to Cavalier's equiptment (the simple view).

Cavtel claims they can do dsl, but Verizon's site tells me it's not
available.  Do you know if this would matter?

As Cavalier would be your phone company I'd believe them. They may have some work arounds that Verizon doesn't or the RADSL might extend past what Verizon offers.

RADSL was introduced to extend the reach of ADSL. The details are on the bottom of the UK page on RDSL Eugene Smiley provided earlier.

With Cavalier, provisioning by Verizon is the process of changing "ownership" of the copper from Verizon to Cavalier. If you are using Cavalier for your local carrier (CLEC), then Verizon cannot provide you with DSL service of any shape over that copper pair. The end result is that if you have any line problems, Cavalier has to get (convince) Verison to "roll-a-truck" to investigate when the remote testing comes up clean but there are still problems.

I have Cavalier on one line as my CLEC and a separate Verizon line for my ADSL service, with DCAnet as my ISP. (I get six static IPs from DCAnet - 1.5M x 380K)

I also note that Cavalier just announced (30 July press release) that they will be deploying Paradyne's ADSL2 service - 12 Mbps. for $25 per month!!!
http://www.cavtel.com/company/press/2003_7_30.shtml
Although this still only lists 960K x 960K.
http://www.cavtel.com/news/hotwiredslresidential.shtml

... playing with a new Panther and so have no signature...
Magill.