Tom on Thu, 7 Aug 2003 21:02:54 -0400

Re: [PLUG] dsl/directv cable alternatives

On Thursday 07 August 2003 10:24, jeff wrote:
> I'm getting nailed for Comcast cable (like the rest of their
> customers).  I only have the cable, not the tv.
>
> Since I have DirecTV, I was thinking of going with their net connection
> and have ordered information (their site is worthless).
>
> Cavtel has this interesting package with DSL and unlimited LD/local
> phone for $75/m.  Speed is `up to 960k/960k' (depending on phases of the
> moon, free modem w/online signup, no contract).
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either service or
> recommendations for something reliable and not terribly expensive.
>

> thanks,
> jeff

As a former DirecPc(one way sat) customer all I can say about DirecWay(two way
sat) service is "DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!!"  The Sat service sounds good in
theory, but Hughes (DirecPC) always seemed to have throughput problems with
there NOC.  For the price of service DSL is way better.

YMMV,
Tom