Bill Jonas on Sat, 16 Aug 2003 19:45:27 -0400

Re: [PLUG] This Box Rocks, but on XP?

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 02:10:19PM -0400, Paul wrote:
> Remote control is something that would be critical.  I've heard of some
> remote control things for PCs.  I think Creative Labs has an audio (and
> more?) remote.  Actually, I was about to do a microcontroller project
> with a TV remote. It would be interesting to have a generic remote
> control system for a PC.

I got a Palm a few months ago, and a friend gave me a remote control
program for it.  I'm not sure if it's FOSS (I think it's proprietary),
but it definitely works on the TV, even if it is a little flaky.  (I'll
put it this way: It works, but it's not something I'd use every day.)

The only issue I could see with this particular program is that it has
to be trained by an existing remote control.  And $100-200 is a bit much
to spend for just a remote control.  But if you already have a PDA with
an IR port and know how to program it, I don't see why it wouldn't be at
least a half-decent option.

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.  You step
into the Road,  and if you don't keep your feet,  there  is  no knowing
where you might be swept off to."  --  Bilbo Baggins