Kam Salisbury on Fri, 22 Aug 2003 18:46:06 -0400

[PLUG] AntiAd HOSTS file to DNS?

I have been using a rather lengthy HOSTS file for my home network machines
in an effort to stop the web surfing pop-up ads. Overall the effort works
well and is easy to maintain and update the few computers I have. However,
I am lazy at times and would rather do something a bit easier. Since I
have an internal DNS server that caches/proxies all DNS from the home
network to my ISP (Comcast) why not create zones for the adclick and other
pop-up domains there? My hosts file is 10,000+ lines long (yes, ten
thousand plus).

I am interested in other's feelings on this. I can see how a small company
may want to do the same thing as well. I can also see myself and others
sharing the dns zone files (they are just ascii after all).

--
Kam Salisbury
http://kamsalisbury.com