Martin DiViaio on Sat, 23 Aug 2003 13:07:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] AntiAd HOSTS file to DNS?

This idea has some merit, to a point. It becomes a little impractical with
the shear volumn of zone files you need to maintain. I'm sure that 10,000
lines in your hosts file doesn't translate to 10,000 separate domains but
it would still be quite a handful.

Using named is possible though, just create the zones in the named.conf
file and point them all to the same zone file. named will happily handle
it for you. (Just remember to remove the $ORIGIN from the zone file.)

It does create a centralized, platform independent method of handling
this. You just need to make sure that all of the systems involved are
using your DNS server.