Bill Jonas on Sat, 23 Aug 2003 13:23:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] AntiAd HOSTS file to DNS?

On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 07:19:55AM -0400, Kam Salisbury wrote:
> I am starting to believe that the real answer to this problem area is
> proxying. Besides Squid, wasn't there a smaller privacy (anti-ad popup)
> oriented proxy named Privoxy? Has anyone following this tread used it?

Privoxy is based on the Internet Junkbuster
(http://www.junkbusters.com/ijb.html).  It is a fork intended to update
it to more modern standards.

It very well may not do what you want it to do.  The config file is
standard Unix-style.  I noticed that a Windows binary is provided, at
least for Junkbuster (I don't know about privoxy), but I don't know
whether or not it would be too complicated for your users.

Privoxy, AFAIK, doesn't block pop-up ads per se.  You can certainly
configure it so that the page request fails.

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.  You step
into the Road,  and if you don't keep your feet,  there  is  no knowing
where you might be swept off to."  --  Bilbo Baggins