Paul on Sat, 23 Aug 2003 13:25:18 -0400

Re: [PLUG] AntiAd HOSTS file to DNS?

Eugene Smiley wrote:

Kam Salisbury wrote:

No excuse! Give them Mozilla for Windows.

I married her and her liking of MS products too...

Good answer. ;)

...if the wife reads PLUG mail! Come on, what's wrong with asking anyone to try your latest recipe? I wonder what it would be like to be married to female open-source hacker.

Anyway, under GNU/Linux I just use Mozilla's pop-up blocker for the few sites I want to block. On a Windows PC the problem might be caused by software. On our Windows PC we had many spyware and adware programs running, one of which caused a severe pop-up problem. Go to http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm to see what is actually running on your Windows PC.

For centralized control, I think something beyond a DNS hack would be better, at least in a business environment. The application should tell the user that the site is being blocked and report statistics to the administator.