Bill Jonas on Sat, 23 Aug 2003 13:38:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] AntiAd HOSTS file to DNS?

On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 01:23:51PM -0400, Paul wrote:
> Come on, what's wrong with asking anyone to try your latest recipe?

Nothing wrong with asking.  Insisting's another matter entirely.  While
I agree that trying other platforms besides the most common one is good,
there's something to be said for freedom of choice (even if it's the
default choice).  Isn't that what Free and Open software is all about?

> I wonder what it would be like to be married to female open-source
> hacker.

I fail to see how this follows this discussion.  I don't think that
one's choice of computing platform is a make-or-break proposition as far
as dating or marriage goes.  Love is rare enough and wonderful enough
that you had best grab onto it when you find it.  Granted, a shared
interest in the same sorts of computer things is a huge bonus to those
of us who live and breathe computers (and mere toleration of my computer
habit would be essential for me), but that's in no way something on
which to base a relationship decision.

> On our Windows PC we had many spyware and adware programs running, one
> of which caused a severe pop-up problem.

On MS Windows, AdAware and Spyboy Search & Destroy (hit Google or
download.com) are excellent choices for removing the excrement that
software publishers like to shovel into systems nowadays.

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.  You step
into the Road,  and if you don't keep your feet,  there  is  no knowing
where you might be swept off to."  --  Bilbo Baggins