Kam Salisbury on Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:59:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] AntiAd HOSTS file to DNS?

> On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 01:23:51PM -0400, Paul wrote:
>> Come on, what's wrong with asking anyone to try your latest recipe?

-snip

>> On our Windows PC we had many spyware and adware programs running, one
>> of which caused a severe pop-up problem.
>
> On MS Windows, AdAware and Spyboy Search & Destroy (hit Google or
> download.com) are excellent choices for removing the excrement that
> software publishers like to shovel into systems nowadays.

Hey, Thanks everyone for your feedback. I will figure something network
centric out. My goal again is to be able to support the ad blocking for
all clients on the network (Windows ones too) without having to install
anything on the client PC. A 10K+ line hosts file copied to the client
workstation via login script is an OK asolution for right now but it slows
the PC down with every lookup requiing a parse of the 10K lines in the
hosts file. I am looking closely at some kind of proxy solution to be the
resolution. I am looking at privoxy very closely since I use mostly Linux
on the network and server end if possible.

Thanks again everyone. Just for the wondering crowd, no, my wife is not a
computer oriented person -- she just knows what she likes and its my job
as her personal tech support to ensure she uses what she likes computer
wise. (SHe doesn't read PLUG posts but they do end up seachable by Google
so why not make good right?)

--
Kam Salisbury
http://kamsalisbury.com