sean finney on Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:10:28 -0400

Re: [PLUG] expect, /dev/pts, and a chroot

hi leroy,

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 02:48:08PM -0400, LeRoy Cressy wrote:
> I noticed that the help on the kernel compile for /dev/pty pointed to
> devfs as a more generic solution.  If you use devfs then you need to
> change a lot of items in your system to make it work again.  Like
> /etc/fstab /etc/lilo.conf and others that I have not thought about.

not true... devfs can be set up to use "compatibility" symlinks where
it preserves the old kernel naming scheme with symlinks to the new
locations.  for example, on a debian machine, the switch to devfs is as
easy as compiling a kernel with devfs support and apt-get installing
devfsd (all my machines at home run devfs).

	sean