Michael C. Toren on 16 Oct 2003 00:58:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Spam

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 06:11:22PM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> You're welcome to leave, taking whatever ball you have with you, but
> I think you're being silly, since Mailman makes it very possible for
> you to do exactly what you want (have your email address listed in
> the archives NOT be reachable by spammers) without forcing that same
> preference choice on others.
>
> As I already pointed out, you can subscribe from a garbage address,
> turn mail delivery off for it in the Mailman interface, then post
> from that address.

Or, if you'd like to post to the list with a From: address you can't
receive mail at but which easily identifies you when read by a human,
send mail to plug-admin@phillylinux.org and I'll be happy to configure
mailman to accept posts from you.

For the record, I agree with the points Gabe has made earlier in the
thread.  Additionally, I'd rather not reconfigure the list archives to
munge addresses because I don't believe simple munging ("mct -at- toren
-dot- net") is an effective method of hiding from spammers, as it's
trivial for a computer to reverse.  It's possible to strip the addresses
entirely ("mct@xxxx"), but that prevents someone viewing the archives from
contacting the author.  Furthermore, to be effective we'll need to modify
both the headers and the bodies of messages (many people list their email
address in their signature, or list the email address of the person
they're responding to in their quote attribution line), and doing so will
break GPG signatures.

Jeffrey, I'm sorry you feel you need to unsubscribe from the list over
this issue, and I hope you'll be able to post in the future using a
munged address if it will make you more comfortable.  Again, if you
need help, please feel free to contact plug-admin@phillylinux.org.

Thanks,
-mct