Joseph B. Welsh on 20 Oct 2003 11:44:02 -0400

Re: [work] [PLUG] Book Recommendation

On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 11:25, Mental wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 10:27:19AM -0400, Barry Roomberg wrote:
> Book recomendations:
> Find out which shell is used. O'Reilly has a good book on bash.

Good point...He never specifies what shell he's using.
I'll have to call and ask.

The default shell in the .profile for everybody in hp-ux is /usr/bin/sh
which is the HP version of Bourne Shell.

> If you already know the basics of programing, get the perl cookbook and
> the camel book.
>
> Now the important part.... DO something. Reading is fine and dandy, but
> practical application is essential. You should also check out some books
> on good admin type practices, general unix automation tips, etc.

We are scheduled to implement a test area on a backup machine with none
of the admin scripts.  That's where the DO part comes in. I get to write
the scripts and test them and make sure they work.  If I do it well I
will have demostrated that skill before going to production box.

Thanks, I'll take a look at the books and website you mention

Joe