gabriel rosenkoetter on 24 Nov 2003 12:19:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Why am I running out of memory?

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 10:47:20AM -0500, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> Why doesn't the kernel just swap out some of my process before asking
> for more memory?  Are there any techniques I can use to make sure the
> kernel has enough physical memory for itself?

The kernel can't swap out a process that's running, Walt, and it's
got no heuristic for which of that process's pages are in use.

In fact, I'm not sure how you could ever have a single process using
more than physical memory without providing some hints about usage
to the kernel (which it's possible to do, of course).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net