Walt Mankowski on 24 Nov 2003 12:55:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Why am I running out of memory?

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 12:21:19PM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> The kernel can't swap out a process that's running, Walt, and it's
> got no heuristic for which of that process's pages are in use.

Hmm, interesting.  I wonder why I thought it could.  I'm pretty sure
the kernel that Stratus machines use was smart enough to do that, but
I suppose I could be wrong about that, too.  I've never tried run into
this issue on either platform.

> In fact, I'm not sure how you could ever have a single process using
> more than physical memory without providing some hints about usage
> to the kernel (which it's possible to do, of course).

Do you know how to do that?

Walt