kmhryhpdblyx on 25 Nov 2003 11:23:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] XML, text, and the development of unix

At 11:09 AM 11/25/2003, you wrote:
On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 10:44:14AM -0500, kmhryhpdblyx@spammotel.com wrote:
> I think it's a perfect example.  You can learn XML once and you can then
> understand the basic syntax of any XML file as opposed to having to learn
> the syntax of every application you want to use.

Not quite.  The syntax is only worth so much.  That's like saying
once you learn how to use a line-oriented file format that uses # as
a comment character, you can understand any config file.

That's why I said "basic syntax". It means I don't have to worry about knowing to use tabs instead of spaces for example.

Learning XML syntax doesn't buy you much.  It doesn't help you debug an
XHTML layout, for example.  Knowing how to debug an XHTML layout doesn't
help you understand why your Ant script is buggy, or where you XSLT
stylesheet bombs out.

Sorry, I thought we were discussing text config files? I look at it this way, it's pretty neat to have the _option_ of creating an XSLT stylesheet for your config file if that's what turns you on. Then you could display your config file in a browser if you'd like.

> I'm in the camp that thinks XML simplifies life.  The hard part of reading
> the XML file has already been done by the parser.  My application just
> needs to know how to call the parser.  Learn it once and your're done.

XML makes some problems simpler, but it is not a universal simplifier.

I never said it was.

Being able to shove all of the "hard problems" to the parser only
simplifies one hard problem: syntactic correctness.  Your application
will still need to deal with semantic errors, and must do so in a much
more complicated manner.

How so? I detect the error and handle it in an appropriate manner. What difference does it make how the file is formatted?

My main point is that I think it's easier for a casual user to understand a well-written XML config file because they don't have to first understand the application-specific syntax of the plain text config file.

--
Jim Foster - jif "at" computer .org
"Being on a Beemer and not having a wave returned by a ICQ 679709