Tom Diehl on 30 Dec 2003 04:19:01 -0000

[PLUG] Re: linux hard drive troubles

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Paul wrote:

> Michael Lazin wrote:
>
> > I called technical support on this issue and they insist that this is
> > a  bios limitation and I need a controller card.  This leads me to

In the windoze world this is true I think.

> > this  question, what would be a ATA-100 controller card to use with
> > Linux?

Don't know, never needed one, sorry.

> I can't recommend anything and I still don't accept that it's a
> controller problem.  The capacities you indicated, roughly 3.5G and 6G,
> are unusual cut-off points, aren't they?

Yep!! for a pentium 2 class machine 30 Gig is a usual cutoff. I have a couple
of them here that do that. Since I boot them from a small drive and add the big
drive ( > 30 gig) to hdb or hdc etc. I found that just setting the bios to
either not installed or none allows linux to just work.

> Did you ever tell us the specs on the computer?  Has the BIOS ever been
> updated?

Unless something has changed recently it should not matter.

> Is there a jumper on the drive for reduced capacity?  The the companies
> drive integrity utility say everything is fine?

Now there is something to check but usually such jumpers simply split the
drive capacity in half, so that still does not make total sense.

HTH,