sean finney on 21 Jan 2004 21:26:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] more thoughts on usb flash drives

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 11:13:41AM -0500, epike wrote:
> me too, i've always wanted the serial lcd display.  Ideally
> the project i described should be a small bookcase type
> computer with nothing on it but a flash reader, a button,
> a LCD display and a ethernet port at the back (for serving
> files).  never got around to do it yet..

sounds remarkably like the cobalt raq2's i have.  their os (a forked
version of rh 6, iirc) is long since end-of-lifed by cobalt/sun, so
i installed debian woody on them last summer and they've been running
great.  the install could be simpler... but what can you expect from a
machine with with no keyboard, monitor, floppy drive, or cdrom drive?
anyway, they run for ~$100 on ebay these days and might fit your bill.
the debian developer who wrote the installer also wrote a couple programs
to play with the leds and control panel buttons--i haven't messed with
that much, but have a script that cycles various information (uptime,
uname -a, df, et c.) across the leds.

	sean