kaze on 23 Jan 2004 01:04:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] Speaking of Win98 -- Samba question

--> [mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of LeRoy Cressy
--> Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 5:36 PM
--> To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
--> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Speaking of Win98 -- Samba question
-->
--> kaze wrote:
--> > --> [mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of LeRoy Cressy
--> > --> Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 11:37 AM
--> > --> To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
--> > --> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Speaking of Win98 -- Samba question
--> > <snip>
--> > --> I have found that using swat to set up samba is a very
--> good tool.  By
--> > --> default on Debian systems swat is turned off in /etc/inetd.conf
--> > --> thus you
--> > --> have to edit the file.  After you have samba working, turn swat
--> > --> off again.
--> > -->
--> > --> Start swat with your favorite browser with http://localhost:901
--> >
--> > Thanks, I'd been following
--> http://de.samba.org/samba/docs/man/swat.8.html
--> > and it wasn't working, after reading your post I noticed the existing
--> > commented out line and just uncommented! Just brought up the
--> web GUI and am
--> > gonna try to get SAMBA working now.

Do'h. This swat is nice, to me as it logically segments the config option
categories, basic vs. advanced, and has the clickable help per option.
Nonetheless even though I basically redid the global, share, and printer
shares I still have the exact same just almost but not yet working SAMBA as
I did with vi and smb.conf... From a Windows 2000 box I can browse, see the
shares, (painfully) authenticate and traverse and read files, and see and
attach to the SAMBA shared printer. BUT I still can't write files, nor
actually print - though Windows does connect and pull up printer properties.

There is some part of the permissions that I am just not understanding /
configuring right yet. I did the allowed users, tried the defaults, did
guest on and off, tried 755; is it a group membership thing?

--> > Question: What's the preferred was to restart whatever to reload
--> > /etc/inetd.conf
-->
--> On a Debian system as root
--> /etc/init.d/inetd restart

Tanx.

--> You can also send a HUP signal to the inet process.
-->
--> ps aux | grep inet
--> root      8741  0.0  0.1  2164  712 ?  S  Jan21   0:00 /usr/sbin/inetd
--> kill -HUP 8741