Tom Diehl on 27 Jan 2004 04:28:02 -0000

[PLUG] Re: Tracking down expired domains

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Walt Mankowski wrote:

> I'm trying to look into what happened to a domain and website of a
> church group my mom belongs to.  Apparently the guy who registered the
> domain and created the website took ill and no one's been able to
> get ahold of him.  The web server is offline, and now the domain
> registration has expired as well.
>
> When I first looked into this a few months ago, there was a listing in
> whois for the domain (cdapa.org).  I was planning on contacting the
> domain registrar to see if they knew anything about it, but now when I
> run "whois cdapa.org" is just returns "NOT FOUND".

Why not just pay the registration fee and reregister it. I just looked it
up and it appears that the first $15.00 gets it.

> I'm thinking at this point that they're screwed, but I'd at least like
> to try to get ahold of the original domain registrar.  Is there
> any way to find out who it used to be registered to?

Maybe I am missing something but I do not think it is a problem. I just
tried to register it and I was told it is available. Since I did not
plunk down the $15.00 it should still be available.  :-))

Good luck.