William H. Magill on 27 Jan 2004 15:39:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Tracking down expired domains

On 26 Jan, 2004, at 23:14, Walt Mankowski wrote:

I'm trying to look into what happened to a domain and website of a
church group my mom belongs to.  Apparently the guy who registered the
domain and created the website took ill and no one's been able to
get ahold of him.  The web server is offline, and now the domain
registration has expired as well.

When I first looked into this a few months ago, there was a listing in
whois for the domain (cdapa.org).  I was planning on contacting the
domain registrar to see if they knew anything about it, but now when I
run "whois cdapa.org" is just returns "NOT FOUND".

I'm thinking at this point that they're screwed, but I'd at least like
to try to get ahold of the original domain registrar.  Is there
any way to find out who it used to be registered to?

Under the new registration rules, a domain name is up for grabs when is it is not renewed by the expiration date.

... no grace period....

If the name is not registered, you simply register it. Then you're the owner of the domain.
Just pick your favorite cheap registrar. Which one doesn't matter all that much as they change very frequently. (Like annually, when the primary contracts come up.)

If this seems a bit cut-throat -- it is. (The competition to be a Registrar is actually pretty fierce. Evidently there is some pretty good money to be made. The competency of the Registrar or the service(s) they provide is probably item number 7 or 8 on the list of evaluation criteria.) It's especially hard on non-profits like yours who "have no clue," and don't really care in the first place. ... but then again, they don't care so it doesn't matter anyway.

As for the website -- it was probably sitting wherever it was being hosted until the bill stopped getting paid. Then it probably got wiped.

T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg # Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg # PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a # XP1000 - [Alpha EV6] magill@mcgillsociety.org magill@acm.org magill@mac.com