LeRoy Cressy on 30 Jan 2004 21:16:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] LeRoy's Enigmail/GPG how-to excellent

Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
Arthur S. Alexion wrote:

On Tuesday 27 January 2004 11:22 am, LeRoy Cressy wrote:

Hi Arthur,

If you are not running enigmail when you are using Mozilla then there
will be no indication on whether the message is signed or not.  On the
other hand enigmail will report is the signature is either good, bad, or
untrusted good signature.

I just updated the enigmail howto with support for mozilla 1.5 and above
which also included Thunderbird.

See below for link

For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/

Thanks, LeRoy. Walt's problem with someone forging his address, hardly new or unique, has finally pushed me to learn and use GPG and to start using signatures. I've been signing PDFs using Adobe's built-in signature technology (I have a 'p7c' signature.) but haven't been able to learn how to use that signature with email and other documents.

I downloaded two GUI front ends for GPG (kgpg & gpa) and am trying to install them in hopes that they help me learn GPG. Once I generate keys, I plan to install enigmail so I appreciate the how-to.

I have always had a mental block against learning and understanding pgp/gpg. Figured it was time I forced myself to learn.

First tried downloading and installing some gui front ends to gpg to help with my blocking. What a waste of time. After installing no less than a dozen dependencies, I finally gave up on all 3: kgpg, gpa & GnomeGPG.

Then, I tried downloading the MiniHowTo from the gpg site. Not being able to read Catalan, I downloaded the limited English options. (Yes there is a multi-file online version, but that's no way to read something.) Well even the postscript file failed because it uses Type 3 fonts -- not on my system.

I was going to go to my windows computer and use Acrobat to create a PDF of the multi-file howto when I decided to read LeRoy's howto that I had downloaded.
Well, it wasn't just a mozilla/enigmail howto, but also included some easy to understand GPG instructions too. I heartily recommend it to anyone who wants to start using gpg or anyone who wants to use it with mozilla.

Thanks, LeRoy.

_______________________________________
Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC
arthur [at] alexion [dot] com
aim: aalexion
sms: 2679725536 [at] messaging [dot] sprintpcs [dot] com

I have a lot of info on gpg in the enigmail document that I wrote. This past week I updated it to include Mozilla 1.5.* and above.

I made this paper so that my 70 year old mother could understand it.

http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
- -- Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com /\_/\
http://lrcressy.com ( o.o )
Phone: 215-535-4037 > ^ <
FAX: 215-535-4285

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA