John Lavin on 2 Feb 2004 20:53:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] verizon DSL

They *actually* do auth against MAC?!  Sigh.  I assume the modem's been
powercycled?  Mine will act up from time to time...

FYI - Last time I checked Verizion's policies, this was technically
against their terms of use for Home users.  Of course this was a year or
so ago, but they don't want you to have a network connected to their
line - one computer only.

I know - they can't really enforce that if you want to do it that way,
I'm just letting you know - one of the many reasons why I would never
use them as an ISP...

Regards,
-john

Chris said:
> I believe that Verizion DSL allows only one MAC address to be connected to
> each user account. Find the MAC address of the Debian box and call Verizon
> to tell them this is the MAC address you want associated with the account.
>
> This is an easy fix, but I believe it will help you... IMHO.
>
> This is my first post to this so I hope I did not screw it up!
>
> Chris.

John Lavin <jlavin@wayreth.net> http://www.wayreth.net                  ,''`.
Fingerprint: B0AA 4A33 D43F BA67 E524  22F3 DA3B F8C8 2BA4 8C46        : :' :
 The ESEA [No Child Left Behind Act] is like a Russian novel. That's   `. `'
because it's long, it's complicated, and in the end, everybody gets      `-
killed.  --Scott Howard, former superintendent, Perry, Ohio, public
schools