Jon Nelson on 5 Mar 2004 12:12:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Can someone explain this ssh behavior?

kaze said:
> When I ssh over the Internet from home to this Linux box I'm setting up as
> SpamAssassin server elsewhere the session just hangs there, and will
> timeout.
>
> If I remotely access a Windows box at that same location and ssh with the
> Putty client to the box I'm one router hop away and can log in fine. Once
> this ssh session (from the Windows box at the same location) is up, the
> original one from home directly to the box will work - even if I start the
> one from home first it just hangs there, but once the local one logs in
> the
> remote one pops up with the logon prompt.
>
> What's going on here? Is this by design or just some weirdness?
>
> - Zake

Do you have a firewall and/or router at home?  I had a similar problem and
found that my firewall (Zonealarm) was dropping some of the packets even
though ssh.exe was trusted.  Correcting that fixed part of my connection
problems.  I then upgraded the firmware of my Linksys router and that
fixed the rest of the problem.

Jon

Trooper Jon S. Nelson, Linux Certified Admin., CCNA
Pa. State Police, Bureau of Criminal Investigation
Computer Crimes Unit
Work: 610.344.4471 Cell/Page: 866.284.1603
jonelson@state.pa.us