Michael Leone on 6 Mar 2004 15:14:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Anybody ever buy one of those Walmart PCs?

On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 01:57, Art Clemons wrote:
> > I want it as a server; not planning on running X or sound or anything on
> > it. I want it to sit there and run
> > postfix/amavis/ClamAV/apache/samba/sshd/etc.
>

> That's true, but you still want to be sure that your NIC works for that.
>     If let's say the Lindows computer has a propietary driver for the
> NIC, or said NIC isn't normally supported by Linux, it might be
> problematic.  I would laugh, but I can recall a certain laptop's NIC
> which indicated under lspci that it was one thing but actually only
> functioned as an rtl8139.

Then I pull my Intel NIC out of my current one, and use that. Don't know
if they're still doing it, but for a long time, Intel had a promotion
going, where you got 2 of their NICs for $40. There's at least 1 slot,
so that's covered.

I usually dislike builtin devices for desktops, since you can usually
get better quality peripherals (video, sound, etc) than what comes on
most motherboards. But for servers, especially command line servers like
linux, I don't really care, since I don't use those devices there
anyway. (except, as you say, the NIC. But getting one that works with
Linux, for a desktop, is really easy and inexpensive, if it comes down
to that)