Ben Dugan on 14 May 2004 19:39:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] knoppix hdinstall (was compile 2.6.x for RH8/9)

Knoppix: use standard distro, boot, pop up root shell (there's a menu entry
for that) and run either knoppix-installer or knx-hdinstall.  I just tried
them from Knoppix-STD (Security Tools Distro) and they worked flawlessly on
some old hardware on which I had just installed Fermi Lab's Scientific Linux
(side-by-side installation).

I'm sure the other Knoppix Knock-offs also have an hdinstall program.

As a sysadmin and a control freak I preferred knx-hdinstall, FWIW.  It's also
more polished in terms of auto-detection and flexibility.

Thanks, Dan. Paul mentioned this too in a recent reply on this thread. I recall seeing something with along those lines but I rejected it for some reason- probably a flawed reason from the sound of it! Did it add a GRUB or LILO entry alonside the existing one you had for the Fermi Lab's one? (You don't need the Knoppix CD to boot, do you?)

This (Knoppix, Morphix, etc) seems like a great way to get a Debian based system going, doesn't it?

Ben