Jeff Abrahamson on 26 May 2004 14:41:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] ssh oddity (continued)

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 10:04:46PM -0400, Dan Crosta wrote:
> On Tue, 25 May 2004, Stephen Gran wrote:
> >
> > Take a look at man ssh_config (note that it's not sshd_config, no d) -
> > you can have a ~/.ssh/config that specifies a lot of this stuff for you.
> > I do not, however, know the details, so if you get it going, please let
> > us know.
>
> I have a .ssh/config that looks like:
>
> Host foo
>   User foouser
>   IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_dsa_foo
>
> Host bar
>   User baruser
>   IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_dsa_bar
>

> etc. I don't know much about ssh-agent, since I use .ssh/config to take
> care of selecting the appropriate key for the host. you can also use
> wildcards to specify one setup for several hosts, like:

Hmm, I think that works.  That is, I reorganized my ssh_config and it
works if I start a *new* ssh-agent and ssh-add the appropriate keys.

Unfortunately, my old ssh-agent doesn't know about this, which means
I'm going to have to log out and log in again to have a new agent for
all of my shells.  This is a bother and so probably won't happen right
away.

Thanks much.

The man page for ssh-add also tells me that I can do much more
sophisticated key management: I can delete keys from the agent, add
them with expiration, and even password protect (temporarily turn off)
the agent.  Very cool.

--
 Jeff

 A cool book of games, highly worth checking out:
 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931686963/purple-20