gabriel rosenkoetter on 18 Jun 2004 15:37:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] "top-quoting"

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 01:58:17AM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> No, I usually do not unless there is some ambiguity involved. If I am
> replying directly to a poster, I usually rely on the "In-Reply-To" header
> and the context of the thread. It is a good practice however: I'll try
> to abide by it more in my PLUG postings (rare though they are).

Note first that I intended chiding over citation to come off as
somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Probably should have made that more clear.

The Good Reason to cite your quotations is for people who have not
been following the whole conversation. It helps them keep up. It's
obviously not so necessary in personal correspondence, but it's
pretty important in a shared forum.

Relying on Message-IDs is pretty fragile. For one thing, relatively
few people (even here) know to look for them, many MUAs (and some
MTAs) mangle or remove them (sure, they're not supposed to, but
they're significantly less likely to mangle the actual email text),
and they're not very clearly presented in the archive format of this
(or, really, any, that I've seen) mailing list.

> Gabriel claimed in an earlier email:
> > I don't care if you run every email through rot13
> I ran this one through rot13 twice, hope that's okay with you too.

My world-optimizing compiler removed those two steps as they had no
effect on the output.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net