Art Alexion on 10 Jul 2004 21:41:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VoIP

My neighborhood has been subject to 2-3 power outages per year in the last 5 years, and during those outages, the phone serve has not gone out once. This includes a flood that killed a couple of people in nearby Roslyn and resulted in PEMA paying for damage and in some cases, buying out homes. The phone never went out once. Contrast that with Comcast going out at least once a month.

James Kelly wrote:

Well a UPS won't do you much good, as they generally have uptime
measured in minutes, which will be good to not say interrupt a phone
call, but it is a worth while consideration that you have no 911 service
~ in the event of an extended power outage.  Don't forget either though
that even a cell phone without a service contract will get you 911.  So
just having one laying around charged is a good enough protection for an
instance like that.

As far as comcast, afaik there is no contract... I don't have one?  I
thought it was a month to month service?

Jim