William H. Magill on 10 Jul 2004 21:31:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VoIP

On 10 Jul, 2004, at 16:37, Paul wrote:
James Kelly wrote:

Just make sure you have a cellphone as a back up in case your broadband/power goes out.

Oh, I've been thinking about a UPS. That should keep the cable modem and VoIP box online, right?

Maybe... but only for the length of time your batteries survive AND you MUST have your VoIP "phone" also on a UPS. A VoIP "phone" is a powered device. (Be that a stand-alone phone or your PC.)

And then you have to hope that your Cable provider stays up. If the power outage is widespread, their equipment between you and their head-end may not function.

In theory, if you have dial-tone, you have adsl ... at least as far as the phone company part of the circuits are concerned. Although, if the outage is for an extended period, the DSLAMs may not be powered. It would depend entirely upon the relationship between the Central Office and the particular co-located equipment. All CO wire-line equipment is powered with emergency generators. And, generally speaking, all Telco (not CLEC) equipment connecting one CO to another is powered by those same generators.

I have been through one situation where power was out, cable was out, but my Verizon ADSL line still talked to my ISP, DCAnet, over in Old City.

One thing I don't like is being locked into using Comcast. Does VoIP work well over Verizon DSL?

VoIP will work over anything that supports IP ... the quality will suffer depending upon the backbone traffic between the two endpoints.

Vonage doesn't seem to list any speed communication requirements on their website, but they do talk about using AOL/DSL.

The other important thing about VoIP -- it does not provide "life-line" services ... i.e. no 911 information! And, you may not be able to dial 911 AT ALL. Vonage offers a "work-around" to the 911 problem:
http://www.vonage.com/features.php?feature=911

but it IS different than being able to dial 911 directly.

T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg # Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg # PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a # XP1000 [Alpha EV6] magill@mcgillsociety.org magill@acm.org magill@mac.com