Art Clemons on 16 Jul 2004 21:04:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Lingo Report

... which is an absurd complaint because no ports need to be opened
for Vonage in particular and, even if they did, one could discover
what the IP addresses it communicates with where relatively easily
(either by sniffing traffic or simply by querying whois.arin.net).
I made no changes to my network when I put my Vonage box inside it.

Unless your firewall setup allows non-standard ports to access the internet if it comes from the right IP address, I don't know how you can avoid this problem. Vonage and Packet8 (the two I've played with) both required either being placed before the firewall or passing incoming traffic to the requisite port on the IP address assigned to the box behind a firewall whether discussing a Linux box as a router/firewall or a hardware firewall/router. Since I have some fear of said boxes being telnetted to and made use of in strange ways, behind the firewall is my preferred method of operation.