Paul on 16 Jul 2004 21:23:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Lingo Report

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 03:15:36PM -0400, Eug wrote:

The biggest complaint from the author is that Vonage refuses to
publish their IP addresses so that people can write their firewall
rules to only have these ports open for packets coming from Vonage.

... which is an absurd complaint because no ports need to be opened
for Vonage in particular and, even if they did, one could discover
what the IP addresses it communicates with where relatively easily
(either by sniffing traffic or simply by querying whois.arin.net).
I made no changes to my network when I put my Vonage box inside it.

There must be some kind of keep-alive that keeps the ports open to the Vonage servers, else you wouldn't be able to receive calls.

I don't know if it was a coincidence, but things started to work after I open a wide range of inbound ports; 10000-20000 UDP. I think it is Packet8 that says that *outbound* ports, roughly, 5000-65535 UDP need to be openable, which is automatic with a one-day firewall.

I can't show Ethereal packet captures if anyone is really interested. I see protocols such as SIP, RTP, RTCP, and ICMP being used. Most of my VoIP traffic uses UDP, but SIP used both UDP and TCP at one point.

Yeah, I have a gigantic hole in my firewall right now, and the first thing I thought of was limiting access to the relevant servers.