gabriel rosenkoetter on 16 Jul 2004 22:23:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Lingo Report

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 05:03:05PM -0400, Art Clemons wrote:
> Unless your firewall setup allows non-standard ports to access the
> internet if it comes from the right IP address, I don't know how you can
> avoid this problem.  Vonage and Packet8 (the two I've played with) both
> required either being placed before the firewall or passing incoming
> traffic to the requisite port on the IP address assigned to the box
> behind a firewall whether discussing a Linux box as a router/firewall or
> a hardware firewall/router.

Let me reiterate that my Vonage box is behind my firewall and I made
no changes to my firewall for it. What's more, no outgoing
connection could address it on the port it was expecting (it's in a
portmapped many-to-one NAT). I believe that the Vonage box
establishes *outgoing* connections, with which I've got no big
problem. I haven't bothered to packet sniff it, but I could if
you're really curious.

The reason Vonage wants to be in front of your firewall is to
perform QoS, but if I cared enough (large connections do cause a bit
of audio degradation for a few moments, then the stream
compensates), I'd do that myself.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net