William H. Magill on 21 Jul 2004 23:28:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] off topic - cordless phones conflicting with wireless routers?

On 21 Jul, 2004, at 18:58, Marc Zucchelli wrote:
I recently purchased a linksys wireless router and
adaptor for my laptop.  I couldnt get it to work by
myself, after 2 hours on the phone with tech support
we determined that it was the cordless phone that sits
on my desk.  I unplugged it and everything worked
great!  Problem is now I cant have both
simultaneously.  Has anyone experienced that?  Any
insights?  Thanks!

It's "well known" at least as far as Apple's support for 11g, that a 2.4ghz wireless phone and a microwave are the most common interference generators. However, this appears to be more true with 11g than with 11b. Apple now default configures the Airport Extreme Base Station to operate on channel 10 instead of 1.

AirPort: Potential sources of interference

Try switching channels for either (or both) the phone and the Base station. The goal is to get them on non-overlapping channels. Set the Linksys base station to one of the upper channels and see if the problem goes away. I've always used channel 9 myself, and never have had any problems.... although I must say, the closest cordless phone to the Base Station is probably about 20 feet, and most of the time, WiFi activity takes place "inside" the cordless base station "window..." Physically:
CP ..... WiFi ...... Base station
I frequently use the cordless phone handset while sitting at the WiFi client, and it seems to have no effect, but again, the phone base station is not near either the WiFI client or Base Station. (BTW, I have three Cordless Phones in the house.)

Netstumbler (or Macstumbler) is a good way to "see" your channel, signal strength and noise levels. It reports what your laptop sees, not info from the base station.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha EV6]
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com