Jeff Abrahamson on 20 Aug 2004 09:04:02 -0000

Re: debian releases (was Re: [PLUG] devfs, scsi, & 2.6)

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 12:42:09PM -0400, sean finney wrote:
> > > this is why i usually recommend either a stable/testing mix
> > > (where a small number of packages are selectively pulled in from
> > > testing, and the remaining packages are still tracking
> > > security), or a testing/unstable mix (where packages are pulled
> > > in from unstable on an as-needed basis).
> >
> > Assuming you'd upgrade daily or even notice the security alert
> > that fast.  Most people probably will hear about a security
> > problem only a few days later.
>
> within a few days the update has typically already made its way into
> testing, and it would certainly be in sid.  i'd like to point out
> that this class of users is not for whom the stable security
> infrastructure was designed.  if you don't have something like
> cron-apt regularly checking for updates, if you're not subscribed to
> debian-security-announce, and you rely on updates via the periodic
> "when you feel like it" method (or the "read about it on slashdot"
> method), what exactly does stable's security infrastructure get you?

Precisely.  My point is that testing vs unstable isn't a big security
issue for most people.

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287

 A cool book of games, highly worth checking out:
 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931686963/purple-20