Paul on 20 Aug 2004 19:40:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] UPS, 2s failures

William H. Magill wrote:

As for the power in the house being effected by things like the AC, Fridge, Freezer, Dryer, etc. There are two issues here.

PECO offers a "whole house surge protector" to address some of this issue. Urban areas have different issues and requirements than Suburban which are different than Rural.

I noticed that the lights in my bathroom dim slightly when I switch on the hair dryer. The lights stay dimmed until the dryer is switched off. (Salon Series 1875W from Target.) I might hook the dryer to the UPS to see what "upsstats.cgi" reports.

How much for a whole-house surge arrestor?

Imaging the size of a whole-house UPS! I would guess that a whole-house UPS would be highly impractical without an automatic failover to a generator.