Art Alexion on 21 Aug 2004 14:51:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] update strategies/partition issue

Art Clemons wrote:

>I need to find that out, also, as the machine I am considering
>upgrading is a Compaq with a 566 celery CPU, 64 MB ram, and an existing
>10 GB hard drive.  I can add a new hard drive, but after 4 failed
>attempts at different brands of memory upgrades, it looks like I'm
>stuck with 64 MB.  Compaq claims that the machine takes generic PC133
>SDRAM,

I've had really good luck using crucial for ram, especially since they guarantee compatibility about as well as anyone selling ram. Not cheap but better than a new board if more memory is what you need.

The memory I got from Crucial is not working either. I am waiting for their mountain time tech support to open to see if we can fix or trade. (see below)

I also have to state that I would more expect a 566 Celeron to take PC100 rather than PC133 but that's just an expectation. I've certainly seen PC133 ram not work in some older computers.

I'm starting to think this is the problem, though Compaq and Crucial both recommend PC133.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c