Paul on 21 Aug 2004 21:49:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] UPS, 2s failures

William H. Magill wrote:

They are also cheap -- especially at CVS when they sell off their Holiday merchandise for 10cents on the dollar -- I quite literally got a $10 extension cord
packaged as a "holiday" item for $1!

Thanks. Maybe I'll just casually wait until I find a deal.

The only issue with the power strip plugged into the extension cord is, just that... the power strip allows you to pull a lot of current through the wire (multiple devices instead of just one) and therefore generate heat. A large gage extension cord both carries more current, AND doesn't consume a lot of current itself generating heat!

In this case the power strip is plugged into the UPS. From there power will be extended to a PC about 15 feet away.

I read somewhere that a business office is not allowed to use anything longer than a 6 foot extension cord. And that nothing should be permanently wired with an extension cord. One example is a computer!

One correction: smaller gage wire is _thicker_ than larger gauger wire. The numbers are inverted for no other reason that I know of other than to confuse people!

"Typical household wiring is AWG number 12 or 14.
Telephone wire is usually 22, 24, or 26. The higher the gauge
number, the smaller the diameter and the thinner the wire.
Thicker wire is better for long distances due to its lower
resistance per unit length."