Art Alexion on 23 Aug 2004 00:11:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] memory (was ¨update strategies/partition issue¨)

Art Alexion wrote:

Paul wrote:

Art Alexion wrote:

I'm starting to think this is the problem, though Compaq and Crucial both recommend PC133.

OK. Looks like the ¨m¨ in Deskpro EXm stands for ¨micro-tower¨. The recommended memory according to the site is

   133MHz Non-ECC SDRAM DIMM

What I got from Crucial is

   256MB 168-pin DIMM 32Mx64 SDRAM UNBUFF

Is ¨Non-ECC¨ the same as ¨UNBUFF¨?

Crucial recommended updating the BIOS and directed me to Compaq/HP's site to download the ROMpaq. This machine is a Compaq Deskpro EXm C566. Compaq lists the Deskpro EX and EXS -- no EXm. The BIOS I downloaded was supposed to be for the EX and EXS C566. I downloaded, made the boot/install/flash floppy, booted with it, followed the instructions, and... clunk... refused to flash the BIOS, citing incompatibility. I have sent an email to Compaq tech support with my serial number.

Compaq refused to answer my question regarding the BIOS update incompatibility problem as my warranty expired in Feb. Smells bad to me. This is the first Compaq I have owned. Nothing but compatibility problems. Other purchases have either been built-in-store or Gateway. Gateway -- if I asked -- would still answer questions on a 1992 model 486 -- but I don't ask because it never has problems -- unlike the Compaq.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c