Howard Bloom on 31 Aug 2004 04:42:02 -0000

RE: Maybe it's time for a FAQ? (was Re: [PLUG] I don't get it. What's the big deal with putting the response on top?)

I take issue with this statement.  I have been contacted off list by the
list admin for replying to Jason Costomiras' comment concerning my days as a
netaxs.com subcriber.
It would seem that my reply and only my reply was a problem because I didn't
add anything technical to the discussion.  Note, that no one else was
contacted as I asked the list manager if he had writtento to anyone else.
Evidently I have offended the pansy of fraternity and I am the recipient of
selective enforcement of unwritten code.

>  2) That said, many (but not all) people on the list prefer reading
>     properly trimmed threads with a response following a relevant,
>     quoted, properly-attributed portion of the original message.

How would you know this?  You have consulted with the many?  You took a poll
off list?

>  3) The absense of a balanced FAQ on this issue seems to make it quite
>     easy for a troll (or a careless comment) to stir up a
> religious war.
>     For one, I would be happy if we had a URL on the PLUG website to
>     which we could point when the topic comes up.

Which one am I, troll or careless poster?  I take issue with both.

>  4) While I enjoy the blood-warming thrill of a flame war as much as
>     the next geek, I suspect it is rather off-putting to newcomers to
>     the list.

Please spare me.  This is complete drivel - akin to the democrats with their
"for the children" crap.  Everything is for the newbie or the children.  So
we should all pretend to be what we are not lest we scare away some adult
from this list?  Nonsense.

>  5) Certain  (primarily non-Linux/UNIX-based) mail user agents do not
>     facilitate bottom-posting with proper quoting.  There are ways to
>     improve some of the defecits with some agents, and a list of these
>     methods might be helpful.

That is a technical problem and not something that I am afflicted with.  I
use Outlook.  It does a wonderful job of presenting me with the information
in the format that I want.