Russell Nordquist on 1 Sep 2004 17:14:02 -0000

Re: Fwd: Re: [PLUG] Adding a new HD

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 10:45, Art Alexion wrote:
> LeRoy Cressy wrote:
>

> > | Now, a follow up question:  If I plan to install a new distro on the
> > | remaining 15 g, should I move /home first, or wait for the new distro to
> > | create a new /home in the partition and then just move the existing
> > | files there.  I assume that, in order to share this new /home directory
> > | between the distros, I need to have /home in its own partition.  I guess
> > | my question is whether to install the new distro first.
> > |
> > Why do you want to install a new distro?  Is the current distribution
> > broken?
>
> Current distribution is Red Hat 7.3; long in the tooth, but working
> well.  Still, won't work with some things I want to try.
>
> Want to install additional to see how new distro runs on this machine
> before trashing existing system.

7.3 is long in the tooth. Upgrading is a good idea. My advice is to
install the new distro and let it make a home directory in the /
partition (not in it's own partition). After the install, make sure your
uid's match up with the old (good) home, and then mount it over /home in
the / partition of the new install. this way you don't risk the
installer trying to format you good home partition or something silly.

I'm willing to bet that once you have a more recent Linux install you
won't look at 7.3 again, so you are going to have the space it is
installed in for something in the future.

what distro are you going to try for the new one?

russell