Kyle R. Burton on 1 Sep 2004 20:23:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Anyone Install Gentoo on an Asus KV8-MAX w/SATA Raid?

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 15:17:37 -0400, Howard Bloom <lists@pc-man.com> wrote:
> I'm curious - you just described my machine that I bought 4 weeks ago.
> Where did you buy it?

I got the case (Thermaltake Xaser III) the MB (asus KV8-MAX), the cpu
(amd64 3000), a Sony DVD/CD Rom (cheap $32), a 512Mb dimm (but see
below), and the 2 160 Gb WD SATA Hdds from Monarch.  I ordered no OS.
It came to about $1,300.  I looked on pricegrabber for these and
didn't find them for much less than Monarch's prices, so I paid the
premium for a well built/tested system from Monarch.  They did a great
job with the internals.  I'm no longer excited by figuring out which
cables to connect which leds and switches to on the case.  I'd rather
have it ready to go.  I'm still enough of a geek that I want and am
willing to install/tweak the OS myself though.

I also ordered 2 512Mb PC3200 chips (replaced the cheapo 512 chip and
put it into another box), a plextor 708 DVD-everything burner, a wacom
graphire tablet, and an SB Audigy from buy.com (they had better prices
on these items, enough to more than cover the additional shipping).
These items totaled about $300 less than equivalents from Monarch.

Kyle