Art Alexion on 11 Sep 2004 17:37:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] weird mozilla spam issue

Paul wrote:

Art Alexion wrote:

Current mozilla releases have a built in bogofilter that marks mail as spam, and you can configure it to move of delete the detected spam. It currently misses about 10% of actual spam (false negatives) but only gets 0.2% false positives (1 in 328, today) and those tend to be spam looking messages from vendors whose ads I have an interest in.

Thanks for mentioning this. You inspired me to learn about and configure Mozilla's "Junk Mail Controls." It only took a few minutes. It used to annoy me when mail would be marked as Junk because I didn't know how the system worked and didn't take the time to learn.

To train it most effectively, configure the controls to *move* mail *automatically* marked spam to the junk folder, and *delete* mail *manually* marked junk. If the filter fails to catch a piece of spam, *don't delete it*, but delete it by marking it junk. BTW, F8 toggles the message viewing pane (F9 the folder pane). I hit F8 to check senders and subjects so that I can mark my mail without having to mozilla load the messages. To insure no false positives, view the junk folder with the view pane toggled off. Once you have satisfied yourself that there are no false positives, select ¨Delete mail marked junk in folder¨ from the Tools menu.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c